Writer in Residence
Established writers who are Australian Citizens or have permanent residency and who write in any genre are encouraged to apply for the Glassworks’ Writer in Residence. Experience writing on art and/ or craft practices will be well regarded but is not mandatory. The successful applicant will be elected by a discipline-specific panel of professionals with decisions based on the quality of work provided.
We like to support creatives as best we can, and we know that many cannot simply abscond from regular life for an extended period. Residencies can therefore be taken in two x two-week blocks; residencies of a single fortnight will also be considered and there is some flexibility with dates. Residents receive a table within the Glassworks and a $3000 stipend, which will also cover shared accommodation if required.
As part of the program, we encourage our Writer in Residence to:
- Participate, where possible, in any other publicity events held before or after their residency;
- Respond to media/press enquiries as appropriate and by prior agreement with our Communications team
- Submit two posts for use on Social Media
- Give a talk about any aspect of their writing and/or creative life;
- Abide by the CGW Code of Conduct.
Please review all application guidelines prior to sending your application and that writing examples and statements are submitted.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents throughout their career.
You are not eligible to apply if:
- You are an undergraduate or post graduate student
- Applicants must not have any unresolved issues relating to a breach of Canberra Glassworks’ Code of Conduct.
Please submit the following:
- Your preferred dates and length of residency.
- A statement of no more than 500 words each that:
- Clarifies your work and/or its relevance within contemporary or historical writing.
- Outline how you will utilise your time at CGW; and
- Explains why a residency at CGW is important to you at this point in your career.
- References: Contact information for two professional referees who are familiar with your work and believe in your potential to be a positive member of our community of artists.
- Current CV
- Writing examples following the below guidelines:
- Upload one PDF that contains all writing samples (up to 10MB).
- Previously published or non-published material is eligible. However, undergraduate assessments are not.
- Only writing submitted in English will be considered.
Please submit your application to Julie Skate, CEO via Julie.Skate@canberraglassworks.com
You will receive a confirmation email from us stating that the files have been received. If you require further information or need support to complete your application, please do not hesitate to contact Julie Skate on 02 6260 7005
26 June 2021 Applications open
19 July 2021 Applications must be received by 5PM to Julie Skate, CEO via Julie.Skate@canberraglassworks.com