Path to Glass: ACT School Residency
Canberra Glassworks, in conjunction with Capital Chemists, is offering one ACT student the opportunity to expand their artistic horizons with a two week artist residency at the Canberra Glassworks in Kingston.
The Path to Glass – ACT School Residency will be offered to one Year 11 or 12 student, currently enrolled at an ACT or greater region college or senior school. The successful applicant will receive a comprehensive introduction to one or two disciplines of glass practice of choice, which can include glass blowing, flameworking, neon, engraving/coldworking, kiln forming and casting techniques.*
The successful applicant will be supported and encouraged by staff, artists and the Canberra Glassworks Creative Fellow. An accomplished Canberra Glassworks artist/s will demonstrate glass processes and mentor the resident to ensure the safe handling of all materials and equipment.
*Subject to teaching artist availability
The Path to Glass residency includes:
- a Glassworks’ voucher towards materials, facility equipment, mentoring and classes to the value of $500.00
- studio space for a two-week period
- introduction to glass techniques, equipment and processes with support from staff, artists and the Canberra Glassworks Creative Fellow
- Applicants must be current students studying in year 11 or 12 in a collage or senior school in the ACT or greater region.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents
You are not eligible to apply if:
- You are a not currently a student in year 11 or 12
- You attend a college or senior school outside of the ACT or greater region
- You have received a residency at CGW in the last 2 years
- You have any unresolved issues relating to a breach of Canberra Glassworks’ Code of Conduct.
In completing your application, please submit the following via email:
- Completed application form
- A 500 word proposal (word doc or pdf) or multimedia recording, outlining your work and what you aim to achieve during the ACT School Residency
- Listed your preferences from 1 to 6 of the glass skills you wish to learn during your residency
- 3 images of recent artwork. Please ensure that images are saved as jpegs and that no image is larger than 1.5MB
- Image details list (with completed credits: Artists name, Title, date, materials, dimensions, photo credit)
1 May 2021 Applications open
20 July 2021 Applications must be received via the form below by no later than 5pm
6 August 2021 Applicants advised of outcomes
28 September to 1 October 2021 Week one of residency
5 October to 8 October 2021 Week two of residency
Canberra Glassworks is enabled to present a variety of education and community engagement programs for Australian professional and emerging artists, as well as for schools and students in the ACT and greater region, by the support of our partners, Capital Chemist.
The ACT School 20% Discount, Glass Outreach Program and the ACT School Residency is supported by Community Partner Capital Chemist.