Make Your Own
Create your own artwork with one-on-one guidance from a highly skilled Teaching Artist. Make your own paperweight, bird, tumbler or vase in a short one-on-one session from 20 to 40 minutes long.
We also offer a variety of Creative Workshops, including glass blowing, flame working, cold working, engraving, bead making, kiln forming and casting for all different levels of ability. Click here for details.
Gift Vouchers for Make Your Own experiences can be purchased online, just click Buy Gift Card on booking page.
Make Your Own Paperweight or Bird
In this 20 minute one-on-one session with the expert guidance of a teaching artist, learn some of the basic glassblowing techniques to make a spherical or bird-shaped paperweight. Seated at a bench on the hotshop floor, you will use glassblowing tools including jacks, blocks, paddles and punties to shape the molten glass, adding colour and pattern before placing the finished work in an annealer (a kiln that cools the piece at a controlled rate to avoid stressing and cracking the glass).
Make Your Own Vessel
In this 40 minute one-on-one session with the expert guidance of a teaching artist, learn some of the basic glassblowing techniques to make a tumbler or vase. Seated at a bench on the hotshop floor, you will use glassblowing tools including jacks, blocks, paddles and punties to make cane and shape the molten glass into a vessel, before placing the finished work in an annealer (a kiln that cools the piece at a controlled rate to avoid stressing and cracking the glass).
- These are one-one-one sessions with an artist. If you want to attend with a group or another person you may book into consecutive sessions.
- If using a physical gift voucher, please book your session through our office on (02) 6260 7005
- Gift vouchers for Make Your Own sessions can now be purchased online
- Due to WHS requirements, participants must be aged 14 and over.
- Please register with Reception in the foyer of Canberra Glassworks, at least 10 minutes prior to your session time.
- Parking on weekends can be difficult due to the neighbouring Old Bus Depot Markets.
- You must wear completely covered shoes (no sandals, thongs or ballet flats!),
- You must wear non-synthetic clothing (it is recommended that participants wear long trousers and long-sleeved shirts to protect from heat rash)
- Long hair must be tied back
- Due to the annealing process, paperweights and vessels will not be available to take home on the same day – your piece will be available for collection from reception the following Wednesday after your session.
- If you cannot collect your piece, postage can be arranged at an additional cost of $15 per item. Quotes for international postage can be supplied.
Refunds/Changes to Bookings
- Please contact us via email if you would like to change or cancel your booking. Changes and cancellations can be made up to 24 hours before your session starts.