Honouring Cultures Artist in Residence
Honouring Cultures is a Special Project supported by Canberra Glassworks, initiated by the ACT Indigenous Textiles and Glass Artists Group (ITAG). Honouring Cultures focuses on the development of the networking and exchange opportunities between Indigenous glass artists from North America, the Asia-Pacific region, New Zealand and Australia with the aim to develop a major international exhibition and touring/exchange projects in future years.
Canberra Glassworks is offering a four-week residency to an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander artist which will introduce them to glass making and our facility, with support from a dedicated Canberra Glassworks Teaching Artist, and provide them with the opportunity to develop a body of work in glass.
This residency is for mid-career Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists who have a desire to work in glass in our world-class facility.
The 2018 Honouring Cultures Artist in Residence will receive:
- a stipend of $2000
- a materials allowance of $2000
- interstate travel allowance to a maximum of $2000 (where required)
- access to a Canberra Glassworks Teaching Artist for up to 3 hours per day for 5 days per week during the residency (total of 60 hours)
- access to the kilns, flameworking, cold shop, hotshop and mould room (based on approved competency in these areas)
- share accommodation in The Chapel for interstate artists
It is important to note that equipment and facilities are shared with a range of artists through a booking system.
The HCAiR will be expected to:
- participate in the residency on a full-time basis for four weeks
- make a significant contribution to the cultural life of Canberra Glassworks
- engage with other artists in the centre and the public
- give a public talk/demonstration during the final week of their residency
This program is for Australian citizens of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent who are permanent residents, or artists who have been based in Australia for more than six months prior to applying.