Artist in Residence
Canberra Glassworks offers residencies for established artists. This residency is for artists who have achieved significant recognition for their technical and artistic work. The residency provides artists with a place and time for research and development, creating a new body of work, developing a particular idea or continuing along a theme using glass.
AiRs will be provided with a stipend of $1000, a designated workspace and will have access to kilns, flameworking, cold shop, hot shop, neon area and mould room. A limited material allowance is available based on project requirements. It is important to note that equipment and facilities are shared with a range of artists through a booking system. Artists must be familiar and highly skilled with the equipment that they are proposing to use independently. Mentoring can be arranged for artists who are new to glass. Non-glass trained artists may be required to fund mentoring or fabrication requirements. We encourage artists new to glass to contact us before applying.
Share accommodation in The Chapel can be provided for interstate artists depending on availability.
AiRs will be expected to participate in the residency on a full-time basis for the duration of four to six weeks. Artists in Residence make a significant contribution to the cultural life of the centre. It is part of the AiR role to engage with other artists in the centre and the public. AiRs will be required to give a public talk/demonstration.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens, permanent residents, or artists who have been based in Australia for more than six months prior to applying
- Applicants should be considered an established artist, designer or craftsperson
- Applicants should be trained and able to use the equipment within the facilities safely and independently or they must contact use prior to applying for more information
You are not eligible to apply if:
- You are a student
- You have received a residency at CGW in the last 2 years
- Applicants must not have any unresolved issues relating to a breach of Canberra Glassworks’ Code of Conduct.
In completing your application, please submit the following:
- Completed application form
- one page proposal for the residency at Canberra Glassworks based on the following points:
- Outline what you want to do creatively
- Outline what you want to do technically
- Describe what you hope to achieve from the residency
- Short description of your equipment needs and your level of proficiency and a list of materials you require
- up to 10 images of recent work. Please ensure that images are saved as jpegs and that no image is larger than 1.5MB
- Image details list (with completed credits: Artists name, Title, date, materials, dimensions, photo credit)
- Curriculum vitae (limit one page)
- Biography (200 words max)
- Name and contact number for two referees who can verify your skill level and your ability to deliver the proposal.
10 February 2021 Applications open
21 March 2021 Applications must be received via the form below by no later than 5pm
29 March 2021 Applicants advised of outcomes
12 April 2021 – Successful applicants must confirm dates
Artists may only receive one Canberra Glassworks residency or mentorship per calendar year. Artists must be familiar and highly skilled with the equipment that they are proposing to use.
Canberra Glassworks strongly advises that you talk to Artistic Programs (phone 02 6185 0382) about your proposal for a full understanding of the application requirements well in advance of the due date. To assist you with your application, find out about our artist access rates.